Betrayal shakes our understanding of the world. Whether it’s betrayal in love, friends, or family, these songs of betrayal cut to our emotional core.
Betrayal is a strong topic that is oftentimes mentioned in popular songs that you hear every single day on the radio. Whether betrayal leads to fighting, remorse, freedom, or rebuilding trust, there’s always a lot of emotion. The following song selections are great examples of songs about betrayal.
Best Songs About Betrayal
Sandcastles by Beyonce
From start to finish, Sandcastles is filled with astounding lyrics from Beyonce that evoke such emotion, it will leave you nearly breathless.
It’s all about broken promises and walking away, leaving behind heartache and devastation. In the end, a plea to try again is made, because some promises are worth keeping.
- We built sandcastles that washed away
- What is it about you that I can’t erase, baby?
- Show me your scars and I won’t walk away
Cry Me a River by Justin Timberlake
A sick beat accompanied by the impressive runs Justin Timberlake is known for, Cry Me a River speaks of cheating and deception- one of the most painful forms of betrayal.
Now that the bridge of betrayal has been crossed, there’s no turning back.
- Should’ve picked honesty, then you may not have blown it
- The bridges were burned, now it’s your turn to cry
- The damage is done, so I guess I’ll be leaving
You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Off Bon Jovi’s popular album Slippery When Wet, You Give Love a Bad Name is the ultimate breakup betrayal song. It talks about a relationship that starts out sweet but turns sour, all thanks to the games played by a seductive woman.
- You promise me heaven, then put me through hell
- I play my part and you play your game
- Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame
Not Gon’ Cry by Mary J. Blige
The story of a selfish man and his selfless wife plays out in this emotional song off the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. She gave 11 years of her life to a man who always put himself first, and she ended up with nothing.
- All the time that I was loving you, you were busy loving yourself
- You’re not worth my tears
- 11 years of sacrifice and you can leave me at the drop of a dime
Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood
An upbeat tune with some pretty heavy lyrics, Before He Cheats is the quintessential ex-girlfriend revenge song. Anyone who cheats on Carrie Underwood will certainly want to lock their car in the garage so it doesn’t get keyed or end up with slashed tires.
- I slashed a hole in all four tires
- ‘Cause the next time that he cheats, oh you know it won’t be on me
- Maybe next time he’ll think before he cheats
Love the Way You Lie by Eminem and Rihanna
Two powerhouse artists come together in this compelling song about a toxic relationship that’s filled with lies, abuse, and betrayal. Between Rihanna’s gut-wrenching chorus to Eminem’s impressive rhymes, this song is one that will stick with you for a long time.
- When it’s bad, it’s awful, I feel so ashamed
- It’s the rage that took over, it controls you both
- I’m tired of the games, I just want her back, I know I’m a liar
Over You by Daughtry
If you’ve ever been left without a warning and forced to pick up the pieces, you’ll relate to this betrayal song by Daughtry. While the betrayal hurts at first, the aftermath that follows leads you to the person you’re truly meant to be, and that closure you find is bittersweet.
- You never were the best for me
- I guess it’s really over, I’m finally getting better
- I never thought to doubt you
18. Heartless by Diplo and Morgan Wallen
The perfect mix of country and pop, Heartless by Diplo and Morgan Wallen perfectly describes an on-again/off-again relationship. One minute you’re thinking of a future with that person, and the next minute they’re ignoring you. This song describes all those feelings.
- You’re so high on attention, taking miles from inches
- Why you gotta be so heartless, I know you think it’s harmless
- Leave me in the darkness, never finish what we started
Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift
The queen of breakup anthems really outdid herself with Picture to Burn. It’s one of Taylor Swift’s biggest hits. It’s a catchy tune with relatable lyrics about going through a breakup and wanting to burn everything that reminds you of your ex.
- I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me
- You’re a redneck heartbreak who’s really bad at lying
- Watch me strike a match on all my wasted time
Rolling in the Deep by Adele
You can’t talk about betrayal songs without mentioning the phenomenal Adele. Perhaps her most well-known song, Rolling in the Deep is everything a betrayal song should be- incredibly raw, at times heartfelt, and full of attitude.
- The scars of your love, they leave me breathless
- We could have had it all, you’re gonna wish you had never met me
- You had my heart inside of your hands, and you played it to the beat
Your Betrayal by Bullet For My Valentine
Bullet for My Valentine released Your Betrayal in 2010 as one of the lead singles for their album. Aside from the song title itself, there are several mentions of betrayal and other similar strong emotions.
The song certainly feels like heavy metal and hard rock, but some listeners may feel connections to other musical genres as well. Bullet for My Valentine did an outstanding job with the overall theme of this song.
The song has found significant success and has been listened to millions of times on popular music social platforms.
- “My Blood is Boiling Inside of My Veins”
- “Pay the Price for Your Betrayal”
- “You said that we’d be Forever, How could you Kill Me and Lie?”
Three Days Grace – I Hate Everything About You
Three Days Grace released their popular song named ‘I Hate Everything About You’ in 2003, but it has remained popular over the course of nearly two decades.
There are several mentions of betrayal throughout the lyrics of this captivating song.
- “All the feelings that I get, but I haven’t missed you yet”
- “I hate everything about you, why do I love you?
Save It for the Bedroom by You Me at Six
Save It for the Bedroom is a song that touches several important topics in relationships, including lying, cheating, jealousy, and betrayal.
The song was originally released in 2007, but it turned out to be so popular that it was re-recorded and released as apart of the soundtrack in the popular DiRT 2 Video Game.
- “Another Night and Another Girl”
- “Keep your lies to yourself, Every Lie you heard from Someone Else”
- “Because that’s just how the players play the game”
Hearts Burst Into Fire by Bullet for My Valentine
Hearts Burst Into Fire is a song that talks about the balance between making mistakes over and over again.
The pain and suffering can oftentimes lead towards betrayal, but sometimes it simply results in pure anger, as mentioned in this alternative rock song.
- “My bed, so cold, so lonely, no arms, just sheets to hold me”
- “It hurts, wounds so sore, now I’m torn, now I’m sore”
Bittersweet Memories by Bullet For My Valentine
There are certainly several mentions of betrayal within Bittersweet Memories. This song sounds more emotional than several other songs from Bullet For My Valentine, but it focuses on emotional memories that relate to happiness, sadness, and betrayal. If you want to listen to a song about regrets, then you will likely appreciate this catchy song.
- “I want to run and escape from your prison”
- “I am not a Saint, that is easy to tell, but guess what honey? you aren’t an Angel”
Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri
Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri is probably one of the most recognizable betrayal songs in the music industry. She produced an emotional song with well thought-out lyric that get stuck in your head. This song mentions how people sometimes gain too much trust and step closer towards an unintended betrayal in relationships.
- “Who do you think you are, Running around leaving scars?”
- “I know I can’t take one more step towards you,
because all that’s waiting is regret”
My Immortal by Evanescence
Evanescence produced My Immortal to discuss wounds that simply don’t heal over time. Sour memories and painful betrayals sometimes create emotional wounds that truly never heal, but listeners are encouraged to find their own personal meanings in this song.
- “These wounds won’t seem to heal, this pain is just too real”
- “Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams”
- “Now I am bound by the life you left behind”
It End’s Tonight by All-American Rejects
This song from the All-American Rejects discusses how people can change over the course of time. The song has lyrics that talk about the possibility of a change in feelings and a change in personality that can sometimes lead to a failing relationship that ends in regrets and betrayal.
- “Now I am on my own side, It is better than being on your side”
- “Just a little insight won’t make this right”
Never Say Never by The Fray
The Fray released Never Say Never to send an emotional message about conflicting feelings that lead to arguments, fights, betrayal, and jealousy. The mixed confusion in feelings seems to resonate with listeners, but the slow paced theme behind the song might also be one of the reasons that so many people fell in love with it.
- “We are falling apart, and we are coming together, again and again”
- “I will be your guardian when all is crumbling”
Stay Away From My Friends by Pierce The Veil
Pierce the Veil released ‘Stay Away From My Friends’ as apart of their album Selfish Machines. This song is slower-paced than many of the alternative selections in this post, but it still talks about raw emotions that relate to betrayal.
- “Stay away from my friends, because I will need them to carry me when it is over”
- “Now you only call me every Christmas and my Birthday”